i am friends with a lot of military spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, fiances... the biggest thing I see and hear has to do with OPSEC... I know you want your family and friends to know that your loved one is deployed, where they are, how long they will be there, when they left and when they are coming back but PLEASE DON'T PUT THAT INFORMATION ON FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE... it violpicture ates OPSEC...If I personally see information like that posted I send a message to the poster telling them it violates OPSEC and to please remove it.
You announcing that you have your loved one deployed puts you at risk as well. I was a single mom with a toddler and pregnant the last time my husband deployed... I didn't announce that he was deployed because that puts me as a target... living alone with a child, pregnant... you get the idea... think before you give out that type of information.
Being on the other side of the picture and in a different branch of service I see how things are different. Army deploys as a Batallion/unit/Brigade and such... most of the Air Force doesn't, we deploy just a few and they go on a civilian plane and such... not a BIG deal is made of it like the Army makes it.
News media doesn't help I know, they publish the information and then people think they can give out the same information... Please don't have that mindset. The information you give out not only affects your loved one but all those serrvicemembers that are with him/her and all their families as well. 1 conversation can affect thousands of lives!
WATCH WHAT YOU SAY, WHERE YOU SAY IT AND WHAT YOU POST ONLINE!
No comments:
Post a Comment