Sunday, October 24, 2010

boxes/mailing

Okay I hope that everyone knows that you can go to USPS website and order boxes and all the forms for FREE! If not well now you know! For those of you that live in Dunlap/or close enough to Dunlap, Citizens Bank will mail the packages for free, you just need to have all the forms with the box and drop it off with Ms. Diane Mounce. It will save you SOOOOOO much money!

Major taping of the box helps it get there in one piece and keeps thieves out. I taped all sides, corners, top, bottom and sides. There would never be a spot untapped on any of the boxes I sent out. I also put clear tape over the address label so that the ink wouldn't run if got wet and so it couldn't be taken off.

Do NOT send alcohol, pornographic or sexual items. This can get your service member into trouble if found. I know sometimes they have to open their packages in front of their Sergeant or someone so don't send anything that can get him/her into trouble.

The customs form (the White one) asks that you be detailed, dont be too detailed, just be vague... like shaving items and shower items can be listed as toiletries... food can be snacks/baked goods. Do NOT put the names of cds or movies on the form.

You can also call 18006108734 and ask for a military care kit and they will send you a package of boxes, forms and such. Its always better to have your forms filled out before getting to post office.

Find out how long it takes to get packages to him/her.... send a trial one with fun stuff in it. I suggest you do this before sending one that has food, food can go bad and you want to know how long it takes to get there before sending too much.

If you send anything liquid, anything that can leak put it in a ziploc bag, tape and put into another bag. If a package leaks they toss it, along with any other packages it leaked onto.

Always pad the boxes well and always shake it before you put the final tape on the top to see if it rattles, you want to avoid this as much as possible. I always sent plastic bags since I always have so many and they use them.... for trash for their rooms/tents, to put dirty/wet clothes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment